Monday, March 8, 2010

Running- The Bonus Blog

This week you get an extra blog-Woo! I have compiled a few songs that are good for.... EXERCISE! I am going on 2 months of keeping my New Year's work out resolution- again, Woo! Like many people, I work out by myself. It can be difficult to motivate yourself and keep going! And- not gonna lie- sometimes I have no idea what I'm doing. I mosey aimlessly around until I see someone doing an exercise or a machine that seems doable. Then I wait until they aren't looking to do it. Tangent? Anyway my point is that music is a great motivator. Music with a strong beat helps keep repetitions up to speed, and they provide the emotional adrenaline that I personally can't muster up at 5:30AM. Yeah, I know not everybody is stupid like me to work out in the morning.

This post will be for good running music, but I want to make 2 points before you read these:

1. Just because you like a song, doesn't mean it's good exercise music. I have deleted many great artists from my work out playlists even though it seems blasphemous- they just didn't do it for me.

2. I understand that just because it's good for me doesn't mean it works for you. You may be faster/slower than me and some of these might not work. Some of you like to work out to country- and that will just never be allowed on my playlist.


With that said.

Dear Incredibly Bluesy White Guy-

Song: "Walking in the Sun"
Artist: Fink
Best for: Warm up stretches

I first heard Fink on World Cafe on 89.1. I was in kind of a numb state and Fink just happened to be the guest on the show- They played the album title song "Sort of Revolution"- his raspy, calm voice was so intriguing. I looked him up on Itunes and found "Walking in the Sun". Very Chill, very cool, smooth, perfect for when you are getting your breathing and body aligned for your work out.


Dear much better alternative to listening to techno on my run-

Song: "The Nerve"
Song: "Electrify"
Artist: Mute Math
Best for: "The Nerve" is great for the beginning of your run, and "Electrify" is a good pace keeper

I'm a new fan of Mute Math- I would recommend this entire album, but I kept it to 2 songs. "The Nerve" has a continuous underlying rhythm that makes it easy to keep going forward- I can't always keep up with it but it pushes me to try. "Electrify" has great pace, but I especially like it because It's all about a guy in pursuit of a girl- he's not necessarily crude about it but he definitely lets his intentions be known. Now don't go judging and call me a hussy. Every girl likes to be pursued.


Dear Naked Men-

Song: Gobbledigook
Artist: Sigur Rós
Best for: Relaxed runs- you've been pushing yourself really hard and now you just want to coast.

The album cover reminds me of a naked dream I had where I was running- naked- and a little boy with his parents saw me and yelled out "COOL!"... anyway, I bought "Gobbledigook" on a whim when I was hanging out at a coffee shop with my friend Kerry. It came on the speakers and he said that he loved the song- I really loved it too. It's great for a more relaxed run- for you music buffs out there it has a hemiola, and when you run with the 6/8 instead of the 3/4 time it makes for a good pace. PS- Unlike these guys, I run with my clothes on and suggest the same for you.


Dear Woman. Barfing Glitter-

Song: "Creator"
Artist: Santigold
Best For: When you are running out of juice and need something a little Animalistic to keep you going.

"Creator" probably sounds a little weird to a lotta people at first listen- The context in which I first saw it was on So You Think You Can Dance where one woman was dressed in tin foil as an alien and the the guy was the last living human, and she was trying to impregnate him. AWESOME. Out of context this is def. an out there song, but it kicks this drag-ass into gear for her morning run.


Dear Song that I have NO CLUE what they're saying-

Song: "Dola Re Dola"
Artist: Kavita Krishnamurthy
Best for: That final push at the end of your run- very dramatic ending.

I LOVE RUNNING TO CULTURAL MUSIC. period. One day I literally sat on Itunes for about 3 hours and downloaded nothing but music from other cultures- This one happens to be Bollywood and it is one of my FAVORITES. It's from a film called Devdas that I have yet to watch. The tempo is too fast for me to keep up with, but it's okay to set a pace that's not quite acheivable yet. GOALS PEOPLE.


Dear I don't want to hear any flack from anybody about JT-

Song: "Lovestoned"
Artist: My boyfriend
Best for: lifting or in gym exercise- Very upbeat song, but the beat would either make you run ridic fast or go at a walking pace. Maybe some post run crunches? Eh eh?

I have few guilty pleasures, but JT? Anyone who can successfully rise from the ashes of the boyband era has reclaimed his dignity. "Love-stoned" is just a sexy, groovy song. You may raise a moral eyebrow at some of my song choices- but I see nothing wrong with keeping these songs between my earphones and mah brain. I solemnly promise I am not singing expletives/crude things at passerby's.


Love Always,
Gnarleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent News