Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Dear Body Image

Some of you may know that I was (and always will be) a Tri Delta. For those of you who didn't know, SURPRISE! I'm a sorority girl :) Trust me, I've gotten all the questions: Why do you pay for your friends? How much time do you spend on your hair? How many bump-its do you own?

1. I paid for electricity in the house, not friends.
2. I really do take a lot of time on my hair, there's no denying that.
3. NO BUMP-ITS. I'm a professional teaser, thanks to my Tri Delta sister Lauren (prosororitygirl.blogspot.com)

But aside from all that, sororities do GREAT THINGS. Tri Delta mainly focuses on raising money for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, a cause for which our chapter raised well over $20,000 while I was an active collegiate member. But for the past few years, Tri Delta has brought awareness to another worthy cause: Fat Talk.

Fat Talk is, "Do these jeans make my butt look too big?" or "I shouldn't eat this bagel, I'll be in a swimsuit later." ALL GIRLS ARE GUILTY. So Tri Delta hosts Fat Talk Free Week, a week that bans negative talk of some one else's or one's own body image. If you look through my twitter feed (look at my side bar) you will see many tweets from this week of things that my sisters LOVE about their bodies. I've thrown in a few from myself, and I've really gained confidence by simply acknowledging what I love about myself. So, in honor of Fat Talk Free Week, I give you my letters.


Dear Ugly, Calloused Fingertips- I love you because you are the result of playing the cello for 12 years.

Dear Mole on my face- I love you because you are like a Cindy Crawford or Marilyn Monroe mole.

Dear Eyes- I love you because when people get close they notice the yellow ring around your pupils, and you look like sunflowers.

Dear Legs- I love you because you carried me 13 miles for a half marathon- and for over 100 miles of training.

Dear Feet- You aren't all that good looking, but I love you because I love to go barefoot and walk around.

Dear Lovehandles- I've learned to love you :)

Dear Eyebrows- I love raising you. Especially righty, lefty doesn't like to move.

Dear Wrinkle on my forehead- I'm only 23 (almost) so I don't think you should be there, but I love you because I believe your appearance was accelerated by lots of facemaking and laughter.

DELTA LoveAlways,
Gnarleigh

PS- Go to endfattalk.com to learn more about Fat Talk and body image.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent News