Thursday, October 28, 2010

Dear Rhythmic Remembrances (2)


Dear Afro I wish I had,

Precious

I love a good female voice. I think for those of my 90s generation, sometimes there's nothing better than a Sarah Mclachlan (spelling?) or a Paula Cole song, or even just the girl you hear at the beginning of the Titanic movie who ooooooooos her way in and out of the film. I've been looking to identify today's top female voices- not that my opinion really amounts to anything. BUT I chose my favorite 3: Florence Welch from Florence + The Machine, Janelle Monae and Esperanza Spalding. Sorry Beyonce- I love single ladies as much as the next girl but I digress.

Esperanza plays upright acoustic and electric bass, she's a professor at Berkeley, an incredible jazz vocalist and musician, plus I'm insanely jealous of her Afro. The first time I heard her was watching TV with my friend whom I call Toon and she was a guest artist with David Letterman.

"Precious" is song about women demanding respect. The, "Just because you bought me dinner does not mean I have to have sex with you," sort of respect. My favorite line in the song says, "You say I set you up like I was different than what I am offering and you say I let you down, and drug your heart around, did you forget about, all of the love and the acceptance that you promised me too?"

Now I'm not saying I'm an angel. I feel I have to say this in case an ex boyfriend is reading. I'm not claiming a tattered heart trampeled on by the bad intentions of all men- I've done my share of trampeling. All women have done their fair share. BUT as a people we cannot avoid the fact that too many women feel they owe their bodies to someone who does not deserve it. Ladies, make your own decisions about when you feel it's right. If you have to question it or you are receiving an ultimatum? Just walk. You're worth more than that.

Boys, don't think I hate you. I don't. This is a great song by a strong, talented woman and it can be enjoyed by all. Trust me, I still catch my guy friend S____ R_________ humming it sometimes, 2 years after we had the disc on replay in my car. $5 to anyone who can fill in those blanks, haha! He'd kill me.

Here's the original clip from Letterman- Enjoy!



LoveAlways,
Gnarleigh

1 comment:

  1. I love her, what a amazing instrumentalist! I'd heard her name before, but i'd forgotten about it. Going to download her albums now!

    ReplyDelete

Recent News