Monday, October 11, 2010

My week of AWESOME.

I apologise (that's how the British spell it). There will be no letters in this blog post, just merely my own ramblings. I wanted to blog though, because I accomplished something amazing last Sunday, and will also accomplish another amazing thing tonight! Okay, so people do it all the time, and a lot do it much better than I. But hear me out before you say "That's what she said".

I ran a half marathon on Sunday! It was a huge personal goal, and one that confronted one of my aforementioned flaws- inconsistency. The past 12 weeks I've been slaving away at training (neglecting my blogging). If there was one thing harder to keep consistency up than with blogging I would definitely have to say it would be running. Running between 10-30 miles every week is no joke, and there are a number of mental hardships to overcome.

But this, ladies and gentleman. Was all worth it.


Look at that face! Look how happy I was! Aw. Presh.


Now as for tonight's accomplishment, it lies on the other side of my life spectrum. I am a cellist in the Wichita Symphony Orchestra, and tonight for our opening concert we are playing a piece that I've adored for years: Gustav Mahler's Symphony No. 2, Resurrection. I want you all to know that I cry during this piece. A lot. I've never been too fluent with my words (unless I can go back and proofread them), and I connect with music simply because it says what no one can possibly ever say.

This piece is titled the Resurrection because it deals with the uncertainty of death- It starts very dark and intense and ends with what literally feels like Heaven. I'm not kidding. Heaven. It's a very special occasion for me to play this piece, and I feel honored to have the ability to perform it.

That is the end of my letterless rambling, but I hope you all share in the fact that accomplishing such seemingly monumental things in our lives should never be deduced into "meh, anyone could do that". What matters is that YOU did it, and YOU are awesome. This week, I am AWESOME.

LoveAlways,
Gnarleigh

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! Pretty awesome indeed. Great accomplishment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post! It's so easy to compare ourselves to others and downplay achievements. But, "What matters is that YOU did it, and YOU are awesome. This week, I am AWESOME."

    Congrats on your achievements. You are awesome! You know what else is awesome? Acknowledging and celebrating your awesomeness - it's harder than it sounds. We all could do it more often. I don't mean bragging - I mean truly appreciating ourselves and celebrating our accomplishments - whatever they are.

    ReplyDelete

Recent News