Monday, October 25, 2010

Dear Melodic Memories (1)


Dear cello master of the universe,

Cello Concerto in B minor

I started playing the cello when I was eleven years old. I think my father was pretty ecstatic simply because he had always tried to incorporate classical music into our car time together. Sometimes I liked it, other times I didn't but come on. What little kid doesn't want to play an instrument that's as big as them? When I started taking lessons and realizing I had somewhat of a natural talent for the instrument, my dad grew even more excited. He started buying all these recordings of cello solos, which in turn got me excited at the thought of playing them one day! This specific recording is of Leonard Rose performing Dvorak's Cello Concerto, one of the toughest pieces for a cellist to perform. I fell in love.

I'll always remember the deafening volume I made my parents play it in the car as they drove me to my lessons. I got mad when they turned it down to ask me a question, and I would always make them wait until it was over, which was very convenient since the piece is about 40 minutes long. I was a punky little kid.

The day of my first lesson with my new teacher was a big day for me, because I was 15 and taking lessons from the university professor. I came in, sat down, and he asked me what I had been working on. I plopped the music on his stand and said I wanted to play this concerto. He couldn't help but laugh, and looking back it's a funny memory I'll have. I have yet to play the concerto, not sure I ever will, but my love for this piece is ongoing.


Below is a FIVE MINUTE youtube clip of Jian Wang performing an excerpt of the concerto. I sincerely hope you take the time to appreciate the overwhelming beauty of this piece. And I promise: Tomorrow's music will have words!



LoveAlways,
Gnarleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent News