Saturday, October 23, 2010

Dear Love Life

I will begin with a story. I was chatting with my mom and sister, Ashley, one day about the normal things female kin talk about. Ashley got slightly pouty faced over the fact I hadn't sent her my most recent composite picture to proudly display on her refrigerator (or wall, not sure where my picture goes in her house). I apologized, but then assured her it was for the best since I had henceforth cut off 6 inches from my hair. I let her know I had recently made plans to have pictures taken with my cello and I would be sure to send her a print. "Oh good! I guess that's the closest thing to a couples picture I'm gonna have from you."

Now I want to clarify that by no means was I offended by this comment- I laughed pretty hard, and I know she meant no harm. Besides, it's not like haven't been asked "So you gotta man in your life now?" by everyone from my brother to my brother-in-law's grandparents. My sister is 5 years older than I, married and has foooooouuuur (beautiful) children (ghaaaaaasp for air). She's in a different place in her life than myself. However, going back to when she was my ripe age of 23 she was married and pregnant with her first child. My progress? Some girl asked a friend and I if we were lesbians at a bar the other night. Oiph.

I'm single. I'm okay with it. Is it weird I'm sharing a blogpost about it? Perhaps. Yes. But I can't help but be compelled to share how I feel about it. Yes, I feel lonely sometimes. But I also feel independent- I have a great job, exceptional friends, an intriguing mix of hobbies and I have yet to give in and buy that first cat. My mom actually told me I had to get a husband and keep him for a year before I could even think about getting a dog.

I'm content. I'm excited about life. I'm excited about opportunity for things besides who awaits at the other end of my spaghetti noodle. Until then, it'll be just me and Felix (my cello) hanging on my sister's refrigerator. Or wall. Whatever.

LoveAlways,
Gnarleigh

Here's a guilty pleasure for the road from one of my favorite movies.

9 comments:

  1. As RT would say "It's better to be single than to wish you were"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rushing into relationships isn't worth it. Single life is clearly something you love... and that is what matters most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to fall in love with my guitar again. Thanks for reminding me, lady.

    I think it really hinges on outlook. Being single can be something to celebrate or loathe. Being in a marriage can be fulfilling and stabalizing or it can be limiting and turn you into a someone you hardly recognize. It all comes down to our connections with the things, places, and people in our lives. That's the real relationship.

    It sounds like your life is rich with those. Keep on enjoying it.

    On another note, any fella would be lucky to have someone like you. Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I knew who these anonymous people were!

    Anonymous 1- I know you are my mother :P

    Anonymous 2-I have rushed into a relationship before, and it was too much, too fast, and it left us both incredibly hurt in the end. almost 3 years later and we are able to talk like friends again. Single, relationship, marriage are 3 states I'm sure I would love being in, but in the right time.

    Anonymous 3- Thank you for your thoughts and your compliments. Mostly your thoughts though! Something everyone should think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was your age, I was living in Thailand, no man in sight! There's plenty of time, but also, don't put off marriage for the sake of independence or a career. Marriage is honoring to God and created by Him, and pleases Him. So as the Creator of marriage, we have to trust Him to bring it into our lives. Just live your life for Him, and He'll bring that person he's set aside for you in your path. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being happy is the most important thing! Dreams are always in the making and I believe things happen for a reason. I don't need anyone to tell me what choices to make or have to rely on anyone to try and make me happy. Love comes when you least expect it and you will cross that road when you are completely and totally ready. Enjoy your time now and continue to be the talented beautiful person that you are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. megan is using her noggin. #meganforpresident

    i recently noticed that my grandparents don't have my picture on their fridge anymore. #ineedtherapy

    the trouble with love is it's not a game. and people like to play with it. #backstreetboys

    ReplyDelete
  8. God has a plan that is not always shared. Enjoy the life you have now! When the time comes for the man God has chosen for you, the one will come along. Until then, enjoy the other plans God has made for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't even begin to tell you how fitting this blog is for myself, too. Love your outlook!

    ReplyDelete

Recent News